Embedding watermark on photos is the best possible option to restrain peopleâ€™s attempts from morphing photos with malicious intention. Adding a watermark on your photo is a simple task. There are several photo editing software programs available with tools to add watermark. You can always rely on high-end photo processing programs such as Adobe Photoshop to create watermarks on images. If you are not comfortable using this software or if you do not want to spend hefty in Â purchasing software to add watermark, you can opt for less expensive programs such as GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). This program works on both Mac and Windows platforms. The software comes for free too. You need to download the software from the Internet and start working on it. Following are the steps to add watermark on photos using GIMP.
- First of all, start downloading GIMP by choosing an appropriate version for the operating system you are using either Windows or Mac.
- Once the download is complete, run and launch the software. First time users should remember that this process will take a while. You will notice that GIMP software opens a program named X11, which is absolutely normal and risk-free as you need this X11 to run GIMP.
- Next, choose â€˜Fileâ€™ and â€˜Openâ€™ to access the photo on which you want to apply watermark.
- Now, click on â€˜Aâ€™ from the toolbox to open the text tool. As you select the text tool, you can choose preferred Font style, Font Size and Font color. Select a Font size of 50-100 pixels and modify according to your choice.
- The default Font color selected is black. Find a column of sliders with a letter mentioned next to sliders. Start with slider 85 to try different color. Usually a lighter font color is chosen for photos showing dark backgrounds while a darker color is recommended for photos having light backgrounds. Now, choose â€˜OKâ€™ to finalize your option.
- Choose â€˜Layerâ€™ from the main menu and select â€˜New Layerâ€™. Use the default setting of â€˜Layer Fill Typeâ€™ as â€˜Transparencyâ€™. Now select â€™OKâ€™.
- Now, simply click the area where watermark should appear. Then, a text box called â€˜GIMP Text Editorâ€™ will open up.
- Now, type the text in the text box to make it appear on the photo.
Remember, if the font is too small or big, type in a more appropriate font size in the box named â€˜Sizeâ€™ on the Toolbar. Then, click on the â€˜Use Selected Fontâ€™ box to complete the process.