Kids spend hours on computers, gaming console and handheld devices to play games of different genre. Parents should not need to worry or criticize kidsâ€™ unwavering attention toward games, especially if the time is being spent in educational games. Playing games has huge potential to promote and stimulate learning in kids, established in many studies and reports by major universities and leading researchers. One of such studies been published by Pew Research Center claims that about 97 percent kids of ages between 12 and 17 play games. Other studies proved that computer and other video games increases hand-eye co-ordination, stimulates curiosity, challenge-taking capacity and been proven to encourage participation in people, irrespective of age, educational status and gender. Hence, this long span of hours spent in playing games can be converted into learning; for this, many educational games are being designed to build and improve skills in children.
How gamification of education benefits students and teachers?Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
The edu-tainment media of games are proven effective in attracting and keeping kids engaged in learning skills when those are converted into an intriguing set of games. Thus, kids are able to shed their resistance toward learning and education; develop interest, find motivation to set and achieve goals voluntarily. Moreover, video games have been useful in boosting performance and self-esteem of participants. Other reasons why gamification of curriculum is being considered by researchers and educational institutions may include (but not limited to) â€“
- Games are proven useful to encourage performance as well as measure performance of participants on the basis of completion of tasks, time consumed in grasping lessons, accuracy and on many other parameters.
- Games are effective in encouraging inclination toward a challenging part of lessons or subjects that children dislike or fear. For example, teachers use language skill development games to discuss and share on a given topic, to encourage practice different grammar and language skills. Similarly, games on math skills help promote basic math skills. Other social games help children develop social skills to play and work together.
- Video games help stimulate learning and through varied interesting levels of interactive games. Those levels are developed on the basis challenge, capability and curiosity of kids.
- Games allow children to hone their exposure and skills in state-of-the-art technology.
How to choose the right type of games for education? Â Â
Since parents and teachers started using video games for education, they need to take account of their choice of games. While selecting games for learning, they should take consideration of several factors and elements.
1. Type of games and purpose
Decide the type of activity and make sure the types of games should cover the type of activities or practices you want to involve kids into. You can select from varied types of games such as simulation, maze, puzzle, board game, adventure and many more.
2. Competition and number of players
Take account of number of players you want to include in playing games. Do you want to include an individual on solitary games, a batch of students or the entire class of students in multi-player games? Many games are developed to present competition in students and many students yield better performance when they are dragged into competition.
In addition to these factors, teachers and parents should also take other essential factors into account such as required level of capability, rules and role and level of difficulty and competition. Â Â Â Â Â